"Correcting the literature"
Costão do Santinho Resort, Florianópolis, SC, Brazil
COPE is pleased to announce its first seminar in South America, to be held on Monday, November 12 (8:30 am to 5 pm), in Brazil. The meeting will take place during the annual meeting of the Brazilian Association of Scientific Editors (ABEC), at the Costão do Santinho Resort, Florianópolis, 300 miles south of São Paulo.
The theme will be the one that has proved so successful for COPE this year in Europe and North America: "Correcting the Literature", which will encompass why corrections are needed, the appropriate ways to deal with them in terms of expressions of concern, corrections and retractions, and the problems that can arise.
The seminar will include talks:
- Irene Hames (COPE council) will open with an introduction to COPE and a general talk on retractions and correction of the literature.
- Sabine Kleinert (Senior Executive Editor of The Lancet) will talk on The Lancet journals' experience with retractions, providing insight from the perspective of large journals.
- Ana Marusic, Co-Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Global Health, will provide an alternative perspective, highlighting the difficulties faced by small journals, particularly in developing countries where there may be political issues.
- A panel of Brazilian editors will relate their experiences of correcting the published research record.
In addition, there will be:
- Session on the COPE retraction guidelines.
- Breakout workshop session with discussion of case studies.
- Q&A panel made up of European and Brazilian editors and SciELO
- Opportunities to network and share your experiences and challenges.
The seminar is free for all editors, publishers, authors and all those interested in publication ethics. Details on the complete programme, travel agency, and hotels are available on the ABEC website (http://www.abecbrasil.org.br/)
Registration is now open. Please register here: http://www.abecbrasil.org.br/inscricoes_curso/inscricoes_cope.asp