The Institute of Slavic Studies, Polish Academy of Sciences (ISS PAS) was founded in 1954. The Institute carries out interdisciplinary studies on the languages, literatures, culture, history and national structures of Slavic countries. For years, its scholarly achievements have earned top positions in the rankings of the Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education and the Polish Academy of Sciences.
Our Institute performs research in the following fields:
- Cultural heritage of Slavic peoples. Diachronic research
- Cultural and regional identities of Slavs. Ideas, myths and public history
- Multiculturalism, linguistic and cultural exchange. Linguistic, ethnic and religious minorities
- Linguistic picture of the world
- Slavic synchronic linguistics: comparative studies, semantics, cognitive linguistics, corpus linguistics
- Slavic studies worldwide. Slavic studies information systems
The Institute of Slavic Studies is an active participant in academic life in Poland and abroad, engaging in numerous inter-institutional and international research projects, organizing conferences, publishing journals and monographs, offering Ph.D. studies and internships for young scholars.
The Institute consists of the following departments: Linguistics, Literature and Cultural Studies, History, as well as Nationality Studies.