Freelance content writer
COPE is looking for a talented freelance Content Writer to create compelling editorials, social media content and web copy. We’re looking for someone who will help us synthesise our content, expand our digital footprint and drive more members to our online content. The ideal candidate should have a proven track record of producing pieces that increase engagement, and experience in writing content for scholarly journals would be highly advantageous. This position requires a high level of creativity, writing for an international audience, as well as the ability to use data driven insights to write focussed material applicable to either our whole membership or targeted groups. All content may be edited and will require final approval by a member of COPE Council. The successful candidate should also be detail oriented and committed to meeting tight deadlines. Preference will be given to those with a strong writing portfolio and relevant work experience. This is a freelance role of up to 15 hours per month. Pay = £30 per hour.
COPE is a virtual organisation and the role is based from home. Most meetings are conducted virtually but expenses will be paid if you are required to attend any meetings in person.
Write short pieces on publication ethics topics/cases as directed. Bring together guidance, discussion, cases and COPE position on particular topics to be included in monthly communications to our community and on our website.
Support the writer of the monthly letter for COPE Digest newsletter, usually the Chair, but can be another Council Member, to add colour/evidence to the letter. This will involve internal and external research.
Write summaries of COPE guidance with key points to launch the guidance to our community and to use in monthly communications.
Write HTML content pages of the PDF guidance:
- to make them more user friendly and accessible
- to increase our visibility on search engines - to keep HTML guidance pages consistent.
Minimum bachelor’s degree in English, journalism or related eld.
Experience of publication ethics in scholarly journals, or writing for scholarly publications would be highly advantageous.
Excellent writing skills, as well as the ability to communicate and collaborate effectively.
Knowledge of digital marketing tactics, including SEO, email marketing and web analytics.
• Ability to consistently meet tight deadlines. • Ability to work on own initiative and be proactive.
• Ability to work as part of a team, follow direction as needed, and to feel comfortable with your work being edited (if deemed appropriate).
• Exceptional communication and writing skills.
• An understanding of how to handle confidential and/or sensitive information.
• Ability to produce accurate work, demonstrate good attention to detail and meet deadlines.
• Motivated and resourceful.
• Adaptable and flexible.
Please send a CV and cover letter to the Executive Officer, Natalie Ridgeway by 24 July 2020