COPE North American Seminar and Forum 2011
Forum: Monday 31 October 2011 (2–5 pm)
Seminar: Tuesday 1 November 2011 (10–5 pm)
Natural Sciences Auditorium, University of California, San Diego, Gilman Dr, La Jolla, California, USA
COPE is pleased to announce its 3rd North American Seminar and Forum. The COPE Forum will take place on the afternoon of 31st October (2–5 pm) followed by a whole day Seminar on 1st November. The programme for the seminar can be downloaded here.
The theme of this year’s Seminar is Authorship. Editors, authors and all those interested in improving the standard of publication ethics are welcome to attend.
The Seminar will include invited talks:
- Lisa Bero, Professor of Clinical Pharmacy and Health Policy, University of California, San Francisco, will talk on ghosts, guests, and other distortions of authorship in medical and scientific journals.
- Dave Kochalko, Vice President of Product and Market Strategy at Thomson Reuters in the Intellectual Property and Science business, will discuss ORCID, Inc, the non-profit organization which brings together the leaders of influential universities, funding organizations, societies, publishers and corporations from around the globe and which is dedicated to solving the name ambiguity problem in scholarly research
- Professor Robert Guralnick, University of Southern California and Managing Editor of Transactions of the American Mathematical Society will discuss authorship issues in mathematics and related issues regarding refereeing for mathematics journals.
In addition, the Seminar will include:
- Breakout sessions in the afternoon with discussion of related cases.
- Opportunities to network with other editors and share your experiences and challenges.
The Seminar is free for COPE members and $75 US for non-members. In addition, COPE would like to offer a limited number of free places to UCSD students. This will provide a unique opportunity for students to learn about the pressures and pitfalls of publication ethics from a panel of international experts. Students wishing to attend should contact the COPE Administrator to register.
COPE members are invited to submit cases for the Forum on 31 October. Members can submit cases to the Forum whether or not they are attending the Seminar on 31st October, but anyone presenting a case should be present at the Forum Meeting on the 31st, either in person or by telephone. Please submit cases to the administrator by 14 October 2010.
Please register below. Registration will close on 14 October 2011.