COPE European Seminar 2012
COPE European Seminar 2012
Correcting the literature
Friday 16 March 2012, 9.00 am–5.00 pm
Charles Darwin House Conference Centre, 12 Roger Street, London WC1N 2JU, UK [map]
The theme of this year’s seminar is “Correcting the literature”, which will encompass all of the issues involved, including why corrections are needed, the appropriate ways to deal with them in terms of expressions of concern, corrections and retractions, the scale of the problem and what can go wrong. Editors, publishers, authors and all those interested in publication ethics are welcome to attend. The full programme is available here.
The seminar will include invited talks:
- Dr Andrew Sugden, Deputy Editor and International Managing Editor of Science magazine, will talk about his experience of handling retractions and how this has influenced their journal policies
- Joss Saunders, a lawyer, from Blake Lapthorn, Oxford, will discuss the legal issues associated with expressions of concern, corrections and retractions
- Ed Pentz, from CrossRef, will talk about CrossMark and its importance in signalling the status of scholarly content
In addition, there will be:
- Breakout workshop sessions in the afternoon with discussion of related cases.
- Opportunities to network and share your experiences and challenges.
The seminar is free for COPE members and £300 for non-members. Numbers are limited and early booking is advisable. To register, please complete the registration form below. The closing date for registration is 2 March 2012.
COPE also invites you to submit your research on publication ethics for presentation as a poster at the seminar.
The deadline for abstract submissions is 27 January 2012. Authors will be informed in mid-February 2012 whether their abstract has been accepted. Posters to present successful abstracts should be about 140cm wide by 90cm high.
The topics considered will be publication ethics-oriented research or information about ethical policies, techniques, collaborations, and initiatives that COPE members and others attending the COPE seminar will be interested in learning about. COPE will assess submitted abstracts for quality, relevance and and suitability for presentation at COPE's seminar.
One abstract author must be a COPE member and should be able to attend the COPE seminar on 16 March 2012 in London.
For more information and to submit your poster click here:
Two scholarships available
COPE member editors from developing countries are invited to apply for one of two scholarships to attend the seminar and annual general meeting.
This will cover two nights’ hotel accommodation in London and round-trip (economy class) airfare. Interested editors should send a short CV (no more than 4 pages) and letter of application explaining why they would benefit from attending this meeting to the COPE Administrator here . The deadline for applications is Friday 13 January 2012.